New OSU Archives Finding Aids
Guides for the following 7 collections in the OSU Archives were completed in June-July 2011.
More information about the Archives' collections is available at: http://archives.library.oregonstate.edu
Alderson, George, Photographs, 1954-1955 (P 248)
The Alderson Photographs consist of 17 snapshot photographs made by Alderson when he visited Corvallis, Oregon, as a youth in the mid-1950s. The photographs depict views of the Oregon State College campus and agricultural lands, Camp Adair, and downtown Corvallis.
Baker, Walter R., Photographs, circa 1863 - circa 1930 (P 018)
This collection consists of 522 photographs images taken or collected by Baker during and soon after his student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). The collection includes images of campus buildings and students as well photographs of buildings in and near Salem, Oregon, and of the Portland, Oregon, waterfront. Baker attended OAC from 1904 to 1909; he earned a BS in Electrical Engineering in 1908 and completed graduate work in 1909 leading to designation as an Electrical Engineer. This guide includes an item-level list of the collection contents. Several photographs from the collection are available online in the Best of the Archives digital collection: http://oregondigital.org/digcol/archives/
Benton County Courthouse Scrapbook, 1968
This scrapbook was prepared in 1968 by the Benton County Court to support nomination of the Courthouse as a state historic site. The scrapbook includes photographs as well as reproductions of historical documents. This was transferred to the Archives in 2011.
Biochemistry and Biophysics Department Records, 1942-1987 (RG 178)
These records document research in biochemistry conducted at Oregon State
University, graduate programs, the administration of the department, and the activities of faculty, especially Vernon H.
Cheldelin and Robert W. Newburgh. The Biochemistry and Biophysics Department was established in 1967, but major research programs in biochemical research began in the early 1950s through the Science Research Institute. This guide includes a detailed list of the collection contents.
Gilstrap, W.J., Papers, 1897-1950
The W.J. Gilstrap Papers consist of a memoir written by Gilstrap describing his family, education, and career as a physician as well as publications documenting his activities as an Oregon Agricultural College student and alumnus. Gilstrap earneda BS in Agriculture in 1898 from Oregon Agricultural College. After completing his medical degree in 1903, he worked as a physician and druggist in Sheridan and Portland, Oregon. These materials were donated to the Archives in 2011. The memoir is available in ScholarsArchive@OSU: http://hdl.handle.net/1957/19922
Oregon Century Farm and Ranch Program Records, 2006-2010
The Oregon Century Farm and Ranch Program Records document farms and ranches in Oregon that have applied for and received recognition as Century or Sesquicentennial Farms or Ranches. The records consist primarily of application materials; a database listing all the farms and ranches accepted into the program is also included. The Oregon Century Farm and Ranch Program was established in 1958. These record were transferred to the Archives in 2011.
Vedder, Harold Troxel, Photograph Collection, 1913-1916 (P 190)
This collection of 72 images was assembled by Vedder during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). The photographs depict campus views and buildings; athletic teams and events, especially football; military training; and student activities. Vedder attended OAC in 1913-1915 as a student of mechanic arts. This guide includes an item-level list of the photographs. Several photographs from the collection are available in the Best of the Archives digital collection: http://oregondigital.org/digcol/archives/