Requesting Items not at OSU
Many articles are available full-text online through one of our databases.
Request Copies of Journal Articles
Once you find your citation, you will need to locate the journal to read the article. Some citations will have the full-text of the article available online. For others, click on the 360 Link to Full Text button to see if OSU subscribes to the electronic or the paper copy of the journal. 360 will open a new window and will display a link to full-text when available. If it's not, click the link to the library catalog to check for a paper copy. If neither is available, request the article from Interlibrary Loan.Learn more
Requesting Books from OSU Libraries
You can borrow books from the OSU Libraries. We send the books to you via FedEx. All you need to do is send them back to us. Please keep in mind that you are responsible for the book once it leaves the building. We cannot ship to a P.O. Box.
Please make sure we have your correct address. If you have moved or changed you name, we need to know.
The OSU Libraries catalog lists the books and other materials owned by OSU Libraries, including the Valley Library in Corvallis, the Guin Library in Newport, the Cascades collection in Bend, as well as Central Oregon Community College’s Library.
- At the main catalog screen, search by Title, Subject Heading, Author, etc,
- Click on the title of the item to see the full record
- Verify that its Status is “Available”
- Click on the “Request” button that is in the row of buttons near the top of the page
- Fill in your name and university ID
- Select “Extended Campus” as the “Pickup Location”
- Click Submit
- The book will be mailed to you. You are responsible for mailing it back to the library by the due date.
Frequently Asked Questions
Request Books from Summit/WorldCat
If Summit doesn't have it, we can get it from another library through Interlibrary Loan. Summit requests generally arrive within 3-5 working days. If you live in Oregon/Washington, you can use your OSU ID to use another Summit Library.
- Search for the title of the book you want in the OSU Library Catalog
- If the book is not there or our copy is checked out, click on the Try Summit Libraries link at the top of the screen.
- If the book is listed in the Summit catalog, click on the title of the book.
- Click on Request Summit Item to borrow the book. The loan period for Summit items is 6 weeks, no renewal.
For books that are not available in either OSU or the Summit Catalog, and for journal articles, you can request an Interlibrary Loan.
When you enter your account information, select the Status field which indicates you are either a Distance Education student or a Remote Faculty or Staff. Items that are not electronic will be mailed to you.
Interlibrary loans may be tentatively renewed online or by phone at (541) 737-4488. Please request renewals 3-5 days before the due date. You will be contacted if the library that owns the material does not allow the renewal.